Pages

20070810

long trail festival

Long trail festival is coming up quick!! It's next weekend, 17, 18,
19, and 20!!

I just updated the <a href="http://

www.longtrailfestival.com">website</a> and it took me about two hours
- most of which was spent on a table. You know, information laid out
in a chart of sorts. Well, after struggling with copying and pasting
and linking and whathaveyou, I decided to throw it in Excel. There I
discovered that the gal who sent me the Word document hadn't done it
right in the first place, and it was quite obvious to me in Excel.
(I love Excel. It's one of two Office products I truly love - the
other is Outlook. If only the Mac versions were more like their pc
counterparts. But I digress.)

So, I modified the Excel document to be correct, then copied and
pasted successfully - only to discover new problems!! One of these
is that if you leave a cell blank, it confuses RapidWeaver. I fixed
that by putting a space in each cell, something Excel never cared for
but for current purposes, whatever.

Then I noticed that my formatting was skewered. I had everything
aligned so the cell contents began at the TOP of each cell, and now
here's RW throwing everything into the default "center" alignment.
What the... So I highlighted the table in RW and right-clicked.

That's when I saw it: "Table." Apparently there's a feature in Rapid
Weaver that allows for tables. I got all excited, you know, thinking
wow, I can create tables without 3rd party software like excel and do
it properly the first time!! But no. I looked EVERYWHERE for this
feature in the menus. I consulted the official documentation. I
searched the forums. Nothing. Doesn't exist, yet, I saw it.
Figures! I'm glad I experiment, otherwise I'd be sitting here hand-
coding the whole thing! Instead, I just modified my *other* site to
use the same technique, since it's so much cleaner and easier.

Egads, I'm getting myself into the wrong business... LOL

~chip

No comments: