Pages

20070319

Types of CAPD

http://www.nswagtc.org.au/info/articles/PittelkowCAPDSubCategories.html

I stumbled across something earlier that indicated there are /types/
of CAPDs. Well, duh, but... I got to wondering what "type" I might
be. Of course, typing things doesn't help matters any, but there was
also mention of how the types tend to have different compensations. I
was curious, so I looked them up.

Seems there are five. The first one, Auditory Decoding Deficit, would
apply to me sans the vocabulary thing. I have _excellent_ vocabulary,
writing, and spelling skills. Apparently folks with this type of
deficit typically do NOT do well even with the written language. (I'm
inclined to think I still suffer from many of the Decoding issues,
though. And, surely no one ever fits into just one category.) But
#4... Prosadic deficit... as I read the characteristics, I heard my
mom's voice over and over in my head: "My friend Betty was just like
you - she always spoke in monotone. Must be a Cherokee thing."
"You're tone-deaf, just give it up." "Can't you hear yourself? Why
do you keep doing that??" (Incidentally, I'm beginning to suspect
that a certain loved one suffers both types I just mentioned, at least
to some extent.)

I was thinking... I'd always thought that codes, language, writing,
etc, was my way of overcompensating for the communication issues I've
had... Maybe it's true. After all, I spent ten years forcing myself
to learn music and once I got to a more "normal" point where I could
at least find a tune, I gave up on it. Doesn't poetry involve all of
the things that are mentioned in that article? Stress, intonation,
rhythm? It's as if my more cherished interests are all centered
around compensating for something. Even computers, with their music
programs that I actually understand due to pulling individual notes
out of the mass of confusion.

Dunno why this "ah ha" is such an "ah ha" to me, nor why typing myself
is so important to me, but it is. I'll need to work on that outside
of this arena, a separate issue that I'll eventually figure out. In
the meantime, though... Ah HA!!

Oh, incidentally, one of the coping ideas for this is to encourage
music and/or dance. Sometimes I think I've out-coped most of the
trainers. WAY out-coped. Since studying music, I swear my ability to
"hear" people has improved. It could be that I trained my brain to
listen carefully, and it passed into speech recognition somehow. In
some way, it's like I knew instinctively how to push the most out of
the issue. I always have been a determined, stubborn little beastie,
I suppose.

Anyway, gotta get back to work. My break is definitely over!!

~nv

No comments: