Pages

20130808

Fry bread, me style

I've probably mentioned fry bread before, but this one is so easy and chewy and yummy that I'll post it here.  I made it up on the fly last night when I was in the mood for salad and... something heavier and tastier than white bread.

Heat an oiled fry pan over medium heat while mixing the following.  Note:  I don't take long to mix this, maybe 5 minutes... and I use olive oil.  I haven't seen it smoke, but as with all oils, keep an eye on your pan for the beginnings of smoke.  No kitchen fires, okay?

Add the following to a bowl and mix thoroughly.
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons or so of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of curry powder
1 teaspoon or so of ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin if desired
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
a dash of asafoetida

Once thoroughly mixed, add about a quarter cup water, enough to get everything mixed together in a pliable glutinous blob.  "knead" it in your hands a few times until it's pretty warm and happy and then sprinkle with flour in order to press flat.  Press into the hot fry pan and keep pressing as flat as you can while it's still cool and pliable enough.  Let it fry at medium heat for about five minutes, then flip with a spatula and shut off the heat.  Let it sit there until you're ready to eat it (but within thirty minutes or so... it's best when still hot/warm).

Chewy and tasty, but it will get hard once it cools off a while.  Then you can make hard tack out of it.  Har har har.  d.

No comments: