Pages

20131002

morning.

It just occurred to me that a person's idea of fun in the wee hours of the morning may not be the same as mine.

I was just sitting here, logged into my work computer, watching one of the servers open connections, close them, fire off processes, write to disk... I got in here because its memory was a bit high and I was alerted, and ended up rebooting given I couldn't find a problem other than high memory utilization, but then when it came back I sat here watching it do its thing.  Not because I thought it needed watching, mind, but because it was drawing me in like a moth to a flame.  There's a reason I shy away from resource monitors.  They are the types of things that my inner geek is natively drawn to.  This means that once hooked, it is difficult to keep track of time.

The part that alarmed me was when I realized I was smiling at it thinking, "That's SO cool.  I can see you talking to your superior.  Oh!  And I can see me.  Hi, me!"

It's not good for people to have this power.  It's disturbing.  In other news, I think I want tea and eggs for breakfast.

~w

No comments: