Pages

20131021

don't make 'em like they used to

I got a new lamp to replace an old one I've had since... well, since I was significantly younger.  The first thing I noticed is that it's new and shiny and not much different than the original.  The base is a bit less childlike, crisper, and I like the switch with the definitive switching sound rather than the rotational clicks the other one had.  Much more... me.

The second thing I noticed is that it's shorter.  No big deal.

Then I go to bend the neck and my hand slides all over the place.  The black "cable wrap" they put on there is not only brittle and, well, cable-wrap-like, but it's not secured.  To anything.  They pretty much wrap cable wrap around the metal neck (which I can easily see if I pull down on the wrap) and then seal the seam together, likely with heat or something, so I can't simply yank the mess off.

The light is perfectly functional, but the wrap must come off if gorilla glue or somesuch can't hold that sucker in place.  This inattention to detail about something rather important (you seriously can't move it suddenly without having things slide around) is very sad.

The other one is held by the fact the plastic wrap stuff is a) higher quality I think and b) sunk into the plastic on either end.

Anywho, we'll work with it.  It's a nice cheap lamp at any rate.  :)

~w

No comments: