Pages

20071019

learning style

I just figured it out. I'm academic in the sense that I need
questions to answer up front, and text to pore over to figure it out.

Just breezed through two chapters in 1.5 hours and have a vague, but
terminology-rich, understanding of both. Class itself is still going
through code examples but I fall asleep during lectures and wanted to
keep myself awake... I found I was still listening somewhat because
when a question was asked I recognized it as a review question and
knew the answer instantly - not just knew it, but had a basic
understanding of the answer.

So... I need questions up front. Then I go looking for their answers.
In the process I'm slightly stressed, keeps me awake; then I get
interested, my brain kicks into its multi-track tendencies, and I
learn on multiple levels. Code I learn by being told to keep writing
it in (working examples); later, I will analyze each part and look
them up to find out what they're doing. Or better yet, experiment to
get them doing things I'm controlling, teaching me intricate details.

My trick now is to make sure I have a good text, and good questions
that highlight the important things. The details will fall into place
via osmosis and interest. Excellent, to know my learning style again.
I didn't think I'd ever figure it out again.

~nv

No comments: