Pages

20080402

Huggies and Pampers

My mother used to tell me to "pamper" myself whenever I was in a bad
mood. Well, tonight I was in an awesome mood, but felt like
"pampering" myself anyways.

I got home and met Dale in our new house. Score one! Then I
announced that I was planning a trip to the store up the street to
see if they had any meat for sale. He said he'd come, too. So we
went together. Score two! They had meat!! I selected a strip steak
and we picked up a few other things, too. Score THREE!! I cooked
the food, Dale found some exciting information on creemee machines,
shared it with the store owner, and we sat down to dinner together.
Score four!! Then I realized I should have been having wine with my
steak, as well, you know, red wine and steak are one of the bestest
pairings of any foodstuffs known to (wo)man. So I poured myself a
little glass and enjoyed swishing the stuff around in my mouth in
between bytes of meat and rice. Score FIVE!! This night was really
going good! We then neatened up the kitchen some more, unpacking and
such. The House is really starting to look nice and neat again.
Score SIX!! And finally, I sat down to listen to Carl Doy, write
this, and enjoy a cup of white tea with some chocolate cookies.
Score... seven.

I'm contemplating all these little things that do tend to make me
feel so content in life. I've begun to appreciate the spacious
nature of this House and the well-hidden nature of its contents; the
sparcity of visible items; the many modern amenities it has offered
us such as a dishwasher and ice crusher. Then I looked around my den
and noted with immense satisfaction the little things that are
contributing small effects to the character of the room: the small
writing desk with ink well and dipping pen; the simplicity of the
iMac upon my main desk; the brass bookends on either side of a small
selection of books; the white cabinet with its critters and many
storage areas; the reminiscence of Native American items and the
Medieval touches of others.

The room is most definitely "mine" yet has a classy warmth that even
I can appreciate with great fondness. It's simple, edged with
memorable dreams, stark technical realizations, artsy fartsy
elegance, intellectual intensity, and a subtle sense of homey style.
I've never found myself analyzing one of my own rooms before, but
this one just has such a voice that it cannot go unnoticed!! I've
always had a surreptitious understanding for my most suitable form of
expression, but refused to admit it even to myself until now: I need
a LOT of space!! Okay, maybe it's not always been so difficult to
discern this, but the utter lack of disarray in this one room
demonstrates that yes, I am surely capable of tidiness.

Anywho... off to sleepyland I go...

~nv

No comments: