Pages

20110416

my favourite room of the house

is the bathroom.

Followed very closely by the kitchen.

Nowhere else can one read, eat, drink, create waste, wash, sleep, stay warm and keep moisture in the lungs any better than in the bathroom.

I still want to create my own version some day... a slightly larger version, with a towel-filled cavity in the floor beneath a torch, not too far from a tub sunk into a slightly raised platform (just to prevent people from walking in too easily). Actually, there would be several such cavities for a change of scenery. I'd climb out of the large tub (big enough to do a few strokes in if you dropped down the middle separator - of course I wouldn't always want to do a few strokes; why waste water?) and just crawl over to the bed-cavity, naked wet and happy, and just plop it there and fall asleep. I'd likely do this every evening and wake up the next morning, refreshed. All my clothes would be in a closet next to a shower, the washer/dryer would be next to that, it would be bliss. A small fridge and cupboard would be near the bed for latenight snacks. Yeah. Of course the toilet would adjoin the main living area, segregated between the two rooms by walls, with its own small sink.

I've been wanting one of these "bathrooms" ever since I first thought I'd get into architecture. Alas, this design, while to me seemingly cost-effective, streamlined, and efficient (as far as combining master bedroom/bathroom and plumbing goes, at least), would probably cost a fortune and require some specific space. Sigh. Oh, and it would have windows facing all directions except north. I've have prisms at the tops of the windows for the sunlight to catch, and the bottoms would have some sort of light-filtering panels to avoid peeping while letting in the morning light. The blinds could make it dark if need be (such as for manouevring via torchlight).

Yeah.

~the comfort seeker

No comments: