Pages

20080211

tea effects

I forget how I got into this, but... I had no idea tea had FLUORIDE in it.  Like, far more than water.  See this article from wiki:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_effects_of_tea_on_health#Effects_of_fluoride

There are also things called "oxalates" in tea that are thought to perhaps absorb calcium from the body.  You'd have to drink a LOT of tea to really get enough oxalates to cause damage, but it made me wonder if perhaps this is why oriental folks are often regarded as shorter than their western counterparts?  No idea.  Then again, the English are known for tea-drinking, and they're not short...

Anywho, interesting reading.  Whilst in my internet travels, I also stumbled across these items here:
http://www.enjoyingtea.com/stone-teapots.html  which then led me to this...
http://www.jcstone.cn/chinateapot.asp  wand I really liked #23, but can't figure out how much they are or how to buy them, so then I scoured the net some more and couldn't find anything else made out of this most interesting form of jade (if it's so rare, why's it so cheap at enjoyingtea.com??)... then I found this and thought, "HOW CUTE!!!!!!!  But... copper??"

Gotta love the 'net... in the end I decided to refrain from pursuing this further, as I've already got two nice teapots, given to me as gifts, and a special infuser that Dale gave me a couple years ago.  All three items are perfectly functional for making tea, and ornamental in their own way.  I also have a nice set of four cups which may not be specifically intended for tea, but they're awesome cups and can hold a cuppa just as well as those itty bitties the Chinese use.  

If that #23 was to be easily purchased, however...  Well, see, I've never in my life seen something so gorgeous, functional, interesting, and simple all in the same package (other than a Mac, but that's a computer).  I think that my next endeavour shall be to visit the local Marble Exhibit and see if I can find anything there, in Verde Antique of course... doubt they'd have such a thing, but you never know.  Can't find anything online, for sure.  Hmph.

Well, I'm updating Address Book entries now... Just figured out that you can add photos.  Weird!!  But okay...

~nv

No comments: