Pages

20090531

Dreamstates

I've decided to outline this in more detail than mere mentions, mostly
for my own "compleat reference" should I ever want this list again.

Note: I have no sleeping disorders. But I do have a very strong and
creative dreamstate that often enjoys intermingling with my waking
state, as outlined below.

1. When I get tired, I literally have five minutes or less to get my
butt in bed or I fall asleep wherever I am. It's reminiscent of
narcolepsy, but it isn't that, because it generally occurs only around
my bedtime and when it doesn't it's when I did NOT sleep very well for
a few days. I am fully aware (often I can still hear what's going on
around me) when this occurs but can do nothing to stop it.

2. I've dreamt while I was still awake, and often I'm aware that I'm
asleep. When I was a kid, I was tested for epilepsy after seeing
shapes dancing around when I was awake, but they ruled it out saying
maybe I'd grow out of it. Now I know it was my dreamstate
experimenting with daylight.

3. Once I adjust to a sleeping schedule, I can wake up one minute
before the alarm goes off, or I can wake up and think, "Three, two,
one..." [alarm sounds]

4. The one sleeping schedule I can't seem to adjust to is staying up
all night, regularly. My body prefers to wake up naturally to
creeping daylight, which is actually pretty normal I think.

5. I've occasionally focused on a problem before bed and had the
answer appear to me while I'm sleeping. When this occurs, I'm very
aware of what the answer is for and that I need to remember it, and I
do.

6. I can sometimes control my dreams (lucid dreaming). It tends to
happen in spurts - i.e., a few nights in a row with long spells in
between. I suspect that for me it depends on current interests.

7. Most of my dreams are vivid, colourful, silent, emotionless, and
very symbolic. Typically I feel like I'm an observer, even when
participating; the participation is how I find information to
observe. Conversations can exist but I don't hear them or see mouths
moving; I only get the understanding of what the person is "saying"
and how I'm responding.

8. I find that remembering my dreams depends on at least one of the
following in my waking life: a) I'm very emotional about something,
regardless of the involved emotion; b) I'm feeling spiritual or having
"ah ha" moments of realisation; c) I'm working on a problem; d) I'm
learning a new subject, idea, etc - i.e., figuring something out; e)
my sleeping schedule is stable.

9. Once I'm asleep, it can be impossible to wake me up. I've slept
through a snake being draped around my neck, loud noises, someone
knocking on my door (which was only about five feet from my sleeping
self), and people shaking me to get me to wake up. However, I will
readily wake up to a fire alarm, alarm clock (usually and only if I
don't wake up before it goes off), and an unfamiliar presence or scent
in the room.

10. I have spoken in my sleep (sometimes carrying on my side of a
conversation I don't later remember), and while I don't recall
actually sleepwalking, I have somehow managed to roll myself up in a
blanket so my arms were bound to my sides, then fell asleep bent up so
half of my weight was on the top of my head. That time I honestly
thought some weird sicko had broken into my house and did that to me
because I couldn't figure out how I could do it to myself (I lived
alone). I've also fallen asleep while chatting online, and have typed
out things I can't remember dreaming about, much to the fear and
amusement of friends.

11. I do snore. Regularly. And I toss and turn a lot, but I feel
very rested despite this provided I'm permitted my full 6-8 hours of
sleep.

No comments: