Pages

20080504

Bissell Sturdy Sweep

Aight. THIS is freakin' cool. We were out at the hardware store
today and passed a shelf full of house stuff. Something red caught
my eye. It was a floor sweeper. The first time I'd seen one of these
handy little buggers was when I was a kid. The cottage that we
stayed at one summer happened to have one, and I remember my mother
using it. No electronic gadgetry whatsoever; it's got wheels on the
bottom and the brush spins hair and dirt and debris into a little
chamber by means of you rolling it back and forth on the floor.

I'd not seen one since I was a kid, in fact, until I saw a waitress
using one at Friendly's restaurant a few years ago. It never dawned
on me that perhaps I wanted one. Until today.

There were two kinds, the red one and this blue one (shown in picture
above). The red one didn't have brushes on the corners, that's
really the only difference. For a few extra bucks, we opted for the
extra brushes. Now. Let me tell you how wonderful this thing is.
It assembled in under two minutes. I then ran it over the kitchen
floor and was instantly gratified by several obvious chunks of debris
disappearing before my eyes. Impressive, I thought, but then, it's
new and on bare floor. So I moved into my den with the industrial
strength carpeting. I swore it seemed lighter as the sweeper ran over
it, but it's hard to tell because the carpet hides everything so
well. The sweeper DID pick up miscreant shavings, though, which I
found even more impressive than the kitchen debris. I was further
impressed as I saw fur and dirt disappear from the mat in front of
the door. It looks brand-new!! So I moved into Dale's den (which
has more light) and saw a noticeable difference in his carpeting.

The picture shows what it picked up in those three rooms, which I
spent no more than ten minutes "sweeping" altogether. My little
Riobi portable vacuum can do this. My little upright could, too.
But no better. And the Sweeper requires no power - no cord, no
battery. Additionally, it's got easy-to-empty dustpans built in.
You push on one side of each compartment and they open, allowing all
the debris to fall right out.

And, as if this isn't good enough, Bissell thought ahead to the
brushes. A simple plastic comb attaches to the handle. You pull it
off, and it quickly rips all the fur and hair from the brushes. You
simply pull the hair off the comb, and it falls neatly into the trash.

Sinclair DOES shed now. Just FYI.

~nv

Additionally,

No comments: