Pages

20111231

Sort of bread for mah soup

I made soup out of some stuff we had...
Rutabaga, turnips, carrots, asparagus, potato, fresh rosemary, turkey broth, a few pinches of salt, celery, garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, a touch of red pepper, some curry... boiled together for an hour...

and realized as I spooned some into a bowl that we didn't have any good, soup-oriented bread. I.e., fresh. So I scoured the internet for a fast bread recipe. There are none that I can find. I remembered creating a form of crackers with Bisquick, but we don't have much Bisquick left, so I decided to go play in the flour.

Preheated oven to 350F.
Rinsed bowl with warm water, then added about a half-cup warm water.
Added about a half-teaspoon of yeast.
Listened to that bubble for a couple of minutes, then got out the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
Stirred in a pinch of sugar, pinch of salt, and a bit of baking soda. Boy, something in there fizzed...
Then added about a cup of flour and mixed together with a cup or so of water. Maybe less.

The dough was sticky so I dumped some flour on the counter and added a handful to the dough, stirring with a wooden spoon and adding more flour until it turned into a big ball.
Took ball and dropped it in the middle of the counter flour. Dumped more flour on top and pushed the mass into a flat thing, adding flour as needed to ensure a nice pliable, non-sticky mess.
Plopped dough (which reminded me of pizza dough!) onto a cookie sheet. The flattened dough was pretty floury so I wasn't too concerned about it getting stuck to the sheet. Stuck it in the oven for 30 minutes.
Oh - I almost forgot, I also poked it with a fork all over the place so it would stay somewhat flat, in case it was thinking about getting a rise out of the situation.
Came out pretty good, actually... a bit chewy, with a few pockets of bread-like substance inside and powdery flour on the outside. I like it.

Oh, and the soup's really good, too... sweeter than I'd expected. I forgot that rutabagas are very sweet!!

~w

No comments: